2009年9月7日 星期一

Proposal - "One Man Orchestra"

My instrument is called the "one man string orchestra". My aim of this instrument is not to duplicate the sound of an acoustic string orchestra or anything, but base on it to create an instrument that can do something that the orginal can't acheive. Since the instrument is digitalized, it has many potential to do different stuffs. My original interface is the Wiimote, which is perfect for this project. But due to the technical problems, I can't get it connect to my laptop. So I'm going for the gamepad, since the control is kind of similar.

In my opinion, the two joysticks of the gamepad has the most potential to control varies parameters. One of which will be use to control the pitch and amplitude, and the other will be use as a timbre and tonal control. There is not much to say about the pitch and amplitude control (imagine something like the Theremin), but for the timbre and tonal control, I am thinking of adding vibrato and a wah-wah effect. And one of the interesting function of my instrument is that it has "violin mode" and "cello mode". By pressing a button, you can play the violin parts or the cello of the orchestra.

One of the things always confuses me is that I never saw or heard anyone playing the violin/voila/cello with the "bend" techinque. Bend is one of my most favorite guitar techniques of all. Slash from velvet revlover/former Guns N' Roses used this techinque to create such beautiful music, such as his "Godfather theme". But when it comes to violin, it seems that it is very critical you play the "exact note", meaning playing the note without being higher or lower. So I thought with the joystick, if I assign one note to each direction, and when I slightly move the stick to one direction, the pitch will change and do the bend effect. Well, that's pretty much it for now.

沒有留言:

張貼留言